Thursday, December 4, 2008

Hmmm...By Melanie (The Magical Online Store)

I just wanted to take this opportunity to introduce myself. I am Melanie, the designer, creator, and owner of Hmmm...by Melanie. I make handbags, coin purses, and other fashion accessories, which I sell on Etsy.com.

This little business endeavor is something I started a few years ago with a table, a borrowed EZ-UP, a craft show, and a dream.

In the beginning, I never really thought that I would be shipping handbags to clients all over the globe. It seemed a little more like selling gel candles that look like beer to people within a 10 mile radius. But soon enough, the gel candles started giving me a headache and the crocheted scarves were not really paying for the time and effort spent. I decided to go with what I know best...sewing. (I work as a seamstress during my day job.) That is when I started designing totes, coin purses, and handbags. I couldn't help it, I love making purses. My small stock of fabric soon turned into an overflowing 12 drawers full. I see fabrics and get so many ideas. If I had the time, the possibilities would be endless.

In the mean time, I discovered the online marketplace for handmade goods, Etsy. I decided to give it a try, and branch out a little. It did not take long before I had my first sale and a new addiction. The thought of someone on the other side of the country, or the world, being able to buy something that I created in my little sewing room blows my mind. Thank you world wide web. While I may not be making it big, I am making things with my own two hands. Everything that I make is made with love, thoughtfulness, and sometimes a few cuss words. I plan to continue creating unique handbags and I hope that someone out there will continue to love and buy them!

5 comments:

Michelle said...

isnt it the coolest feeling in the world... making items that get shipped all over the world.. and getting to know the people you sell to and with... :) love it

Great blog too.. I also just started mine and am loving it :)

Memories for Life said...

Isn't Etsy great! I just starting shipping Internationally and have to agree that it is such a cool feeling selling to a new country!

Good luck with your blog...and your Etsy shop!

Beadin By The Sea said...

What a fabulous first entry into the world of blogging. It is such a thrill to know that things made with your own two hands will be worn or used in places all over the world! Keep up the great work!

Marjorie said...

I love Etsy too! I have yet to do a craft show...but really want to. I am off to check out your shop. Your blog looks great!

nikki/WhiMSy love said...

I love making & selling things on Etsy for the same reason. It is SUCH a super duper feeling!